I'm talking about the cold, dry air inside and out this time of year that is making me feel like my face and body have been taken over by my sweet, but OLD grandmother (bless her heart). I'm feeling dry, flaky and downright wrinkly! So, that made me think of all the terrible things we do (or neglect to do) to our skin that can make us appear old before our time.
I don't mind looking 60, 70 or whatever age but if I look that age, I actually want to BE that age . . . not younger. That leads to a good old fashioned SKIN INTERVENTION.
Here goes with a good Top 10 List:
1. STRESS LESS! Take a cue from the pic above of Hillary. See what stress can do to you? We all know how it can age a person pre-maturely, so do your darn best to "let it go" , don't sweat the small stuff, remember at this time of year we are not all Martha Stewarts, most people aren't keeping track, stop to smell the roses, learn to say "no" (I've learned that after 40 some odd years) and learn from the lady above - you can be the pantsuit wearer in the family, but you can't always control everything else around you. One day at a time. . .
2. KEEP IT REAL - Have you seen some of those women out there with lips like Lisa Rinna's? No need to even go there-
3. GET OVER YOUR CRUSH - Think about how you sleep on your face. Keep your self from letting your whole side of your face crumple into your pillow and keep your yourself from letting your face prop onto your hands leaving that side of your face scrunched into 1001 wrinkles. It might freeze that way. Really.
4. KEEP SKIN FIT - Yes, a good diet and exercise routine really helps your skin! Keeps it hydrated, fresh and healthy.
5. PARTY SMART - Have fun at those parties the skin-friendly way. Alcohol really dehydrates your skin and will show on your face. Sip a glass of water between those alcoholic beverages. You'll thank me in the morning.
6. TAKE IT EASY - Think about how you wash your face. Remember those buff puff scouring sessions in highschool? Ouch. Take it easy on your face and treat it gently as you cleanse.
7. CARE FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY SUIT - Respect the skin below your neck. The rest of your body also needs to be hydrated and moisturized AND covered in SPF. Even this time of year!
8. GO FAUX - Just say NO to UV! If you really want to look "sun-kissed" go with a fake tanning solution. STAY AWAY from those awful tanning beds!
9. CREMATE YOUR PRODUCT GRAVEYARD - when was the last time you cleaned out your bathroom cabinet and all of those 3 year old products?? Choose your skincare wisely and use it up before you purchase, so you will not be tempted to keep all the old stuff and continue to use those products from 2008.
10. TAKE THE RED OUT - If you have sensitive skin, calm it down. Stay away from the harsh products or routine that makes it aggravated.
That about does it for the Top 10. So, take care of yourselves . . . Inside AND out! It's all about taking care of what you have been blessed with!
(credit: 10 Resolutions for 12 months of great skin
Rodan + Fields Dermatologists)